Better Bluetooth Audio

Earlier this year, I showed you how to get high-quality A2DP audio streaming to your Bluetooth headphones. And while that method of connecting your headphones to a music player does work fine, it really only works with media players and anything else set up to specifically play to your headset. What if you want to watch a Flash video with A2DP audio? How about play a game of Nexuiz through the headset? Well, with that implementation, you can't.

And next week, with the release of Ubuntu 8.10, that method will not even work anymore due to a new incompatible version of Bluez. But on the flipside, we really don't even need to do that anymore.

Most distributions include a somewhat recent version of PulseAudio. Love it or hate it, it becomes an excellent tool for the job. Using PulseAudio sinks (outputs), we are able to create a new device visible for Pulse to play to. This means not only your music player, but also your games, websites, and everything else, can play through your wireless headset.

Note: If you used any of the instructions from the previous article, undo them entirely. First make sure your GStreamer output is set back to speaker mode if you used it. Then, delete the .a2dp folder in your home directory. Finally, remove the A2DP Connection script from System > Preferences > Sessions. Leaving anything laying around could interfere with the new process.

Also note that these are merely some things to try out. They are by no means complete; real, full Bluetooth support will come in a later PulseAudio release. PulseAudio 0.9.13 includes the start of this work, but it isn't too use-friendly at the moment.

Let's get started. Open up the file .asoundrc in your home directory (create it if you can't find it), and change its contents to something like this:
pcm.bluetooth {
type bluetooth
device "00:00:00:00:00:00"
}

Replace the device line with the MAC address of your headphones. To find the MAC address, put the headset in pairing mode, and run hcitool scan. Also, if you headphones aren't already paired with your computer, do that now using the Bluetooth applet in the notification area.

Save that file and log out and back in again to make ALSA re-read the configuration. Now we can set up PulseAudio with a simple one-liner:

pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device="bluetooth"

Be sure your headphones are on. When you see a number appear on the command line, they are ready. Pulse will automatically turn on and off the headphones as needed when it wants to play sound. Caveat: You cannot set this to run at startup, as it will sometimes fail. You can, however, add it as a panel launcher and enable your headphones with a single click.

Now go ahead and open up Rhythmbox or another music player (or something else you know uses PulseAudio) and play a track. If you don't get any audio, check to make sure your headphones are on and paired properly, and try the above command again. If the audio still comes out of your speakers, then you will want to re-route the audio.

To do this, install the pavucontrol (PulseAudio Volume Control) application, which may be present on some distributions already. Open it up, and go to the Output Devices tab. Find your headset in the list (labeled "bluetooth") and click the down arrow on the right. Check Default, and try playing audio again. If it still comes out of the speakers, then Pulse is remembering previous settings. Leave the music playing, and go to the Playback tab. Click the down arrow next to the active stream (probably labeled as your music player and current song) and select Move To and then "bluetooth". Wait a moment, and the audio should then route to the headphones. From that point on, Pulse should remember that it should always play to your headphones for that application if they are available.

Feel free to experiment with different setups to find out what works best for you. If things don't work out the first time, simply keep trying. Share your findings in the comments below.

Bonus tip: AVRCP

Just like in the last article, you can enable AVRCP (play/next button) support by adding uinput to the end of /etc/modules. Reboot and your headphones should work!

Avatar for jacob Jacob Peddicord - http://jacob.peddicord.net/

Jacob is a web developer, student, and programmer from Ohio. He is a staff member at the Ubuntu Forums and is most likely a fanboy of the distribution. He loves to write in code and words, play video games, and rant about topics most would have abandoned long ago. Jacob uses GNOME and is never seen running stable software, much to the demise of his laptop.

Discussion: Better Bluetooth Audio

1. # Posted on 25 October 2008 at 01:34 AM

[...] These instructions will eventually be obsolete. This will not work with Bluez 4 or above, included with Ubuntu 8.10+. PulseAudio is also set to [...]

2. # Posted on 25 October 2008 at 04:27 AM

[...] Yes, yesterday think luck was in my favor.When I searched for “jabra and linux” in google, I got what I needed within the first few links. Updated Instructions @ http://fosswire.com/2008/10/25/better-bluetooth-audio/ [...]

3. Gert van Dijk (guest)

# Posted on 29 October 2008 at 11:06 AM

Thanks for this great how-to! I just did a reinstall with Ubuntu 8.10 and was glad to find a how-to to match the new software. Still some problems, though. - AVRCP isn't working anymore. It was in Hardy with the same headset (Nokia BH-503). That really is a pity. - When some other non-Gstreamer program starts playing audio the Gstreamer application fails to play audio through the headset and eventually won't respond (Rhythmbox in my case). The non-Gstreamer application plays the audio through the speakers.

4. nomasteryoda (guest)

# Posted on 30 October 2008 at 05:16 PM

Yup... Similarly to Dijk's post above, I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 Itchy Ibex (I know its Intrepid but that makes me think of the Starship). Following your directions, I got my HT-820 headset working and the sound is so clear and loud now I can't believe the difference from a2dpd. In both Ubuntu 8.04 and Sidux installs I had used your directions for the bluetooth toggle, but this is far superior and just works. Combined with the new ability to use my smartphone PDA to get web access in the laptop and rhythmbox's album art download, I've got one mean media playing laptop.

I just need to get AVRCP working now.

thanks for putting this info down,

nmy

5. Jacob (guest)

# Posted on 30 October 2008 at 05:26 PM

nomasteryoda:

Ah, thanks, I forgot about the AVRCP support. Added to the end of this article.

6. # Posted on 08 November 2008 at 05:39 PM

[...] UPDATE: FOSSwire notes that the above instructions are not supported in Ubuntu 8.10.  They have provided these instructions instead, which I have tested and confirmed to work on Ubuntu 8.10:  Better Bluetooth Audio. [...]

7. Carlos Alexandre (guest)

# Posted on 17 November 2008 at 04:19 PM

I'm using Kubuntu 8.10 (Hardy) 64-bits, works fine with me including the remote control(avrcp) with amarok

Could be something with the bluetooth adapter

a note, when insalling it's not need to reboot, only need type (root) modprobe uinput

8. Carl (guest)

# Posted on 17 November 2008 at 09:15 PM

Hi, this seems like a nice guide. However, I do have some troubles. First off, if I use the hcitool command, it ruins the bluetooth manager and I need to reinstall it (tried rebooting to no avail). After a lot of trouble getting hold of the Bluetooth ID number for the headset (Jabra BT2040) I finally got my .asoundrc properly set up and could run the pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device="bluetooth" command, and it actually seems to work because my headset hums up and is clearly being affected by the command.. however, after a little while I get "Failure: Timeout" instead of the number you said I would get.. Any idea what I should do?

9. # Posted on 18 November 2008 at 12:20 PM

[...] FOSSwire Posted in Workarounds. [...]

10. Jeremy Pointer (guest)

# Posted on 22 November 2008 at 08:15 AM

This works beutifully for me.... almost the problem I have is that pulseaudio keeps crashing for e.g. when running sound test to the headset - also it would be helpful if there was a way to automatically run the pactl when the headset is turned on / connection is made to it - how would this be achieved ?

11. Jeremy Pointer (guest)

# Posted on 22 November 2008 at 08:34 AM

FWIW: it took me a while to recreate the problem but this is the error pulseaudio outputs: ALSA lib pcm_bluetooth.c:712:(bluetooth_a2dp_hw_params) BT_SETCONFIGURATION failed : Input/output error(5) W: alsa-util.c: Unable to determine current swparams: Operation not permitted ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL bluetooth pulseaudio: pcm_bluetooth.c:797: bluetooth_playback_poll_revents: Assertion `pfds[1].fd >= 0' failed.

12. Vadim Atlygin (guest)

# Posted on 23 November 2008 at 03:18 AM

Hi, is there a way to make pulseaudio listen to a mic from headset also?

13. Aspic (guest)

# Posted on 26 November 2008 at 12:05 AM

As I'm a stupid boy, I used the instruction of the previous page, using a2dp.sh I removed the .a2dp directory and the A2DP Connection script. But since I used the script a2dp.sh, my intrepid ibex isn't able to pair any device with my comp. I always have a timeout... hidd --connect says : "Can't get device information: Connection timed out" Need help, please !! ;o)

14. Aspic (guest)

# Posted on 26 November 2008 at 08:03 AM

After playing with .deb (install, uninstall, reinstall, etc...), it works again. Pfiouuu, how lucky am I :o)

15. Prof. Dr. Morpheus (guest)

# Posted on 27 December 2008 at 01:22 PM

Thanks, it worked great!

16. Murz (guest)

# Posted on 10 January 2009 at 11:52 AM

I have succesfully pair my computer with Bluetooth device (Motorola S705), hcitool cc connects normally.

When I type sudo hcitool cc 00:02:76:64:4B:FE && pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device="bluetooth"

the device shows that It connected to the computer, but after some seconds connection losts.

"pulseaudio -vv" shows thouse errors:

I: client.c: Client 5 changed name from "Native client (UNIX socket client)" to "pactl"
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully opened device bluetooth.
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully enabled mmap() mode.
    W: alsa-util.c: Unable to determine current swparams: Operation not permitted
    ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL bluetooth
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer bluetooth: No such file or directory
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer hw:(null): No such device
    I: sink.c: Created sink 4 "alsa_output.bluetooth.2" with sample spec "s16le 6ch 48000Hz"
    I: source.c: Created source 5 "alsa_output.bluetooth.2.monitor" with sample spec "s16le 6ch 48000Hz"
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Using 8 fragments of size 6144 bytes.
    D: module-alsa-sink.c: Thread starting up
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+24
    Aborted

OS - Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10 AMD64. $ uname -a Linux kit 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:15:32 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ dpkg -l blue* | grep ii ii bluetooth 4.12-0ubuntu5 Bluetooth support ii bluez 4.12-0ubuntu5 Bluetooth tools and daemons ii bluez-alsa 4.12-0ubuntu5 Bluetooth audio support ii bluez-cups 4.25-0ubuntu1~git20081226 Bluetooth printer driver for CUPS ii bluez-gnome 1.8-0ubuntu1 Bluetooth utilities for GNOME ii bluez-gstreamer 4.12-0ubuntu5 Bluetooth gstreamer support ii bluez-utils 4.12-0ubuntu5 Transitional package ii pulseaudio 0.9.10-2ubuntu9.2 PulseAudio sound server

In which place I must search the problem?

17. Murz (guest)

# Posted on 10 January 2009 at 11:54 AM

"pulseaudio -vv" shows thouse errors:

I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully opened device bluetooth.
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully enabled mmap() mode.
    W: alsa-util.c: Unable to determine current swparams: Operation not permitted
    ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL bluetooth
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer bluetooth: No such file or directory
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer hw:(null): No such device
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Using 8 fragments of size 6144 bytes.
    D: module-alsa-sink.c: Thread starting up
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+24
    Aborted

In which place I must search the problem?

18. Murz (guest)

# Posted on 10 January 2009 at 11:54 AM

When I type sudo hcitool cc 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device="bluetooth"

19. Murz (guest)

# Posted on 10 January 2009 at 11:55 AM

"pulseaudio -vv" shows thouse errors:

I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully opened device bluetooth.
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully enabled mmap() mode.
    W: alsa-util.c: Unable to determine current swparams: Operation not permitted
    ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL bluetooth
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer bluetooth: No such file or directory
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer hw:(null): No such device
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Using 8 fragments of size 6144 bytes.
    D: module-alsa-sink.c: Thread starting up
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+24
    Aborted

In which place I must search the problem?

20. Murz (guest)

# Posted on 10 January 2009 at 11:55 AM

"pulseaudio -vv" shows thouse errors:

I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully opened device bluetooth.
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Successfully enabled mmap() mode.
    W: alsa-util.c: Unable to determine current swparams: Operation not permitted
    ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL bluetooth
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer bluetooth: No such file or directory
    I: alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer hw:(null): No such device
    I: module-alsa-sink.c: Using 8 fragments of size 6144 bytes.
    D: module-alsa-sink.c: Thread starting up
    D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+24
    Aborted

21. Murz (guest)

# Posted on 10 January 2009 at 11:58 AM

In which place I must search the problem?

22. Murz (guest)

# Posted on 10 January 2009 at 11:58 AM

P.S. I can't send the full text in one comment, comment posts as emty.

23. higherclaws (guest)

# Posted on 11 January 2009 at 02:41 AM

This works for me. Thanks for the support.

24. yodaco (guest)

# Posted on 24 January 2009 at 12:10 AM

thanx sooooo much for this, ive tried the newest blueman and it failed to please but your tut worked a treat... one thing tho, about getting the track skip and play/pause buttons to work.. i dont seem the have the file /etc/modules. can anybody help meont that, i would like to use those buttons if i can, but no file no joy.

25. picard12 (guest)

# Posted on 25 January 2009 at 06:02 AM

Hello, I try it on mandriva 2009 and work fine, except one thing; I I open another software when i listening music whith amarok 2.0.1, for example firefox pulse crash with amarok

26. picard12 (guest)

# Posted on 25 January 2009 at 06:08 AM

Maybe only a bug but if tray again work fine!! tank a lot.... i solved my big problem. I testet with samsung YA-BH270

27. picard12 (guest)

# Posted on 25 January 2009 at 06:13 AM

Sorry for my multi message, only one question: why the sound is only mono?

28. lb (guest)

# Posted on 26 January 2009 at 12:51 AM

picard12: try changing the entry in ~/.asoundrc (or /etc/asound.conf to make it system wide) to: pcm.bluetooth { type bluetooth profile "hifi" device "00:00:00:00:00:00" } Hopefully your device is a combo device that's being misdetected as only supporting 'voice' profile (sco), and that'll fix it.

29. lb (guest)

# Posted on 26 January 2009 at 12:53 AM

..changing the address of course :)

30. maku520 (guest)

# Posted on 26 January 2009 at 08:55 PM

Thanks again! I used your first tutorial on Hardy and it worked great; I'm glad I and others have had similar success with this new version. Still no luck with AVRCP even after adding uinput at the end of /etc/modules...

I worked on a bash script to load the module and connect to the sink, but I couldn't figure out how to set PulseAudio's default sink from the script. Maybe you'll have better luck. It's on line 7 of the script below. I'm sure that -L is the wrong argument... I tried -F and -nF and it didn't work. Maybe something on line 6 that should be different? http://blog.markjdrummond.com/sites/default/files/connect2bt-headset.sh

31. maku520 (guest)

# Posted on 28 January 2009 at 08:42 PM

(Sorry, that link didn't work for some reason)

I took the stuff that doesn't work out of the script but would still like to know if anyone knows how to set the default PA sink from the command line. I think it has to do with a couple other modules, "module-cli" and "module-cli-protocol-unix". While I managed to load the modules, I'm not sure how to use them. Any ideas?

Anyway, this script works but you have to manually set the default sink with pavucontrol, which it launches automatically upon connection. http://blog.markjdrummond.com/sites/default/files/connect2bt-headset.sh_.txt

32. yodaco (guest)

# Posted on 18 February 2009 at 04:41 AM

hmm.. this worked fine until a recent update to the bluetooth services (bearing in mind im using ubuntu8.10 so updates are frequent) now when running "pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device="bluetooth"kllll" i get the error "Failure: Module initalization failed"

any ideas????? i was really loving my bluetooth headset there, now this issue has really got me stumped

33. dmitry (guest)

# Posted on 19 February 2009 at 08:20 PM

I'm getting the same error as yodaco, running Ubuntu 8.10 with PulseAudio 0.9.10-2ubuntu9.3 installed per default. Compiling PulseAudio 0.9.14 from sources fails with due to a following error:

cc1: warning: ../libltdl: No such file or directory In file included from ./pulsecore/sink-input.h:34, from ./pulsecore/core.h:41, from ./pulsecore/core-scache.h:26, from pulsecore/pstream.c:47: ./pulsecore/module.h:26:18: error: ltdl.h: No such file or directory In file included from ./pulsecore/module.h:31, from ./pulsecore/sink-input.h:34, from ./pulsecore/core.h:41, from ./pulsecore/core-scache.h:26, from pulsecore/pstream.c:47: ./pulsecore/modinfo.h:37: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘dl’ In file included from ./pulsecore/sink-input.h:34, from ./pulsecore/core.h:41, from ./pulsecore/core-scache.h:26, from pulsecore/pstream.c:47: ./pulsecore/module.h:38: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘lt_dlhandle’

34. maku520 (guest)

# Posted on 23 February 2009 at 06:16 PM

I, too, have recently run into this problem. What changed in the bluetooth services that broke this process?

35. Syl (guest)

# Posted on 25 February 2009 at 04:01 PM

Same here. Doesnt work anymore.

36. Harri (guest)

# Posted on 15 March 2009 at 02:40 PM

About "module initialization failed": Maybe the pincode agent went mad again.

You might want to try this: Run "hcitool dev" to get the 6-byte address of your bluetooth device (e.g. the usb dongle). Create a directory /var/lib/bluetooth/${localaddress}, if it doesn't exist yet.

Next set your headset to pairing mode, and run "hcitool scan" to get its 6-byte address. Edit the file /var/lib/bluetooth/${localaddress}/pincodes to add a line "${headsetaddress} 0000". Most likely 0000 is the pin code of your headset. Check its documentation.

In my environment I have

hcitool dev

Devices: hci0 00:1D:D9:EB:F2:7F

hcitool scan

Scanning ... 00:19:7F:6C:A9:40 590Plantronics

cat '/var/lib/bluetooth/00:1D:D9:EB:F2:7F/pincodes'

00:19:7F:6C:A9:40 0000

Hope this helps.

Harri

37. Harri (guest)

# Posted on 15 March 2009 at 02:42 PM

Do you see the huge fonts in my previous post, too? You can be sure that this was not my intention. Sorry. Hopefully you get the meaning.

Harri

38. # Posted on 15 March 2009 at 02:55 PM

Harri:

It's the markdown formatting doing that. I can't turn that behavior off, but I'll make a note to fix the huge font sizes significantly. :)

39. maku520 (guest)

# Posted on 05 April 2009 at 06:54 PM

Harri:

For whatever reason, that file doesn't exist on my system. How else can I find out if my pincode has gone haywire? I changed the 'passkey' directive in '/etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf' to my headset's default pincode and restarted bluetooth, but that didn't work. Do I have to change it elsewhere? Or am I not doing the right thing? Thank you for your past work -- please help!

40. PlantronicUser (guest)

# Posted on 09 April 2009 at 05:16 AM

Great how-to thanks.

With my laptop I need to have a sound playing before using the load-module command otherwise pulseaudio server just crashes.

Also I used the pulse Audio preferences to add a Virtual output device for simultaneous output" and that allows sound to my headphones as soon as they are connected without having to redirect any sound sources (as they are all pointed to the simultaneous device)

41. PlantronicUser (guest)

# Posted on 09 April 2009 at 05:17 AM

Also the uinput module wasn't installed by default in my ubuntu 8.10 so I had to install it manually (upgraded from 8.04)

42. maku520 (guest)

# Posted on 18 April 2009 at 06:18 PM

43. Justus (guest)

# Posted on 25 April 2009 at 05:29 PM

Still not working for me... has anyone else had this problem? It stopped working in early/mid- February and I have no idea what's wrong! I keep getting the "Module initiation failed" message. Any ideas? Please help! maku520 said:

Same here, now running Jaunty, SE HBH DS-200 on a Vaio tz31.

44. Justus (guest)

# Posted on 26 April 2009 at 09:31 AM

After a reboot it now works. I have no idea what happened but I'm happy... :) Anyway it seems as logging of is not enough to activate the changes, at least not on my machine.

rgrds Justus

45. Fer (guest)

# Posted on 10 May 2009 at 11:42 AM

Is the mic working for you? I cannot make it work with Alsa or Pulse using the bluetooth. The earphone works great though. Thanks !

46. StaticIp (guest)

# Posted on 12 July 2009 at 02:16 AM

This howto worked great for me, except for one thing.. Every time I disconnect my bluetooth headset or I get out of range Sound shuts down completely. I have to reboot to get it back. Pulse fails to connect, and anything open that was playing sound freezes. Is there any way to fix this?

47. # Posted on 30 October 2009 at 12:52 AM

Doesn't work for me on 9.04! :(

48. skunk (guest)

# Posted on 31 October 2009 at 05:04 PM

work fine for me ! thx !

49. skunk (guest)

# Posted on 31 October 2009 at 05:08 PM

sorry: work fine for me on debian sid , kernel 2.6.30-1-amd64 gnome 2.26.1. didn't test on ubuntu but really work fine on debian

50. camypaj (guest)

# Posted on 23 November 2009 at 01:27 PM

Thanks! Worked like a charm with Nokia BH-503 on Ubuntu 9.04.

51. Arindom (guest)

# Posted on 26 January 2010 at 05:35 AM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried so hard for so many days on my computer so that I could play audio through my bluetooth headphones.. I could play via a2dp on my mobile phone but it was impossible on my windows xp, windows vista or windows 7... Recently I switched to ubuntu 9.04 & I love it. Its much better than windows. Now I can play audio to my Nokia BH-103 via a2dp thanx to my ubuntu.. Linux rocksssssssssssssssssss Thanx couldn't have done it without you....

52. Nubish (guest)

# Posted on 24 February 2010 at 02:57 AM

WEWT!!1!

Belkin dongle Ubuntu 8.09 Sony Ericsson headset

Nice work!

53. karim (guest)

# Posted on 15 June 2010 at 01:06 AM

Long Live Linux & open standards ! Thank you very very much for the great work!

54. # Posted on 31 December 2010 at 05:40 AM

Hey Jacob,

Do these instructions apply to Maverick Meerkat? Thanks! I currently have a cheap dongle on my T42 working the bluetooth to my headset, but no a2dp. I use blueman.

Home » Articles » Better Bluetooth Audio